Tuesday 8 January 2013

The Gym

So, a couple of posts ago, i mentioned that i was going to start back down the gym again. I have moved to a new gym that's just opened. Its very cheap and doesn't have such luxuries as a jacuzzi, swimming pool or sauna etc. Probably just as well as none of these actually constitute any form of exercise.

I am working on a full body routine, that consists of the "Big Five" exercises. These are:

1) chest press
2) lat pull-down
3) vertical press
4) leg press
5) horizontal row

Because i am building muscle, i am pushing heavy weights in 3 sets of 8 reps, with minimal rest in between sets.

This is proving enough to stimulate growth and is yielding pretty fast results. Of course, important still enjoying the beginner gains and will have to tweak things in about 6 months time or so. My aim is to add more weight to most of the exercises every week in order to continue muscle development.

I can already see changes in my arms and shoulders.

My aim is to go down the gym three times a week, allowing at least 24 hours between each session for recovery. So far, I have actually gone four times a week, purely because I alternate with the wife so one of us can look after the baby so my routine isn't quite where it should be at the moment. Rest is actually more important than training in terms of muscle growth because the repair and growth only occurs outside of the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment